Our History

In 1911, a group of citizens determined an Episcopal Church was needed in Shandon, Columbia's first suburb. Chartered on March 18, 1912, St. John's Episcopal Church purchased a ¾ acre lot on the corner of Wheat and Holly Streets. The first church building was constructed facing Holly Street (approximately where the parking lot is located today). This building served as  both the sanctuary and parish hall until the present church building was completed in 1926.

In May 1945, St. John's paid off its mortgage and began a period of growth in both membership and facilities. In 1949, the brick portion of Heyward Hall was built and in 1956 the granite section of Heyward Hall and the narthex of the church were constructed. The John MacReadie Barr Christian Life Center was completed in 1993 providing space for basketball, parish meetings, a formal dining room and a well-equipped kitchen. In 2012, the church started a Restoration & Repair project, complete with a new HVAC and audio system, new narthex roof, copper gutters, stonework and stained glass repairs, as well as, interior painting, and new velvet kneelers. During the project, the Memorial Garden was given a needed facelift and the columbarium was upgraded. The Restoration & Repair Project was completed just after our Centennial Year celebration in 2013.

Today, St. John’s, Shandon is a congregation numbering about 1,300 baptized members of all ages, roughly 800 of whom we consider "communicants". Our many ministries seek to serve our Lord Jesus Christ and his people, and to bring glory to God our Father, under the guidance and power of the Holy Spirit.

Contents © 2017 St. John's Episcopal Church | Church Website Provided by mychurchwebsite.net | Privacy Policy